Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Midyear Musings and Favorites



We're halfway through 2019 and so far it's been a great year for reading. My overall totals are up and I seem to be choosing better books.

In an unplanned development, 43% of those books have been nonfiction - a personal record. The Supreme Court is the subject that's come up most frequently. I've also read quite a few new releases. We'll see if these trends continue.

Unfortunately, the increase in nonfiction has been at the expense of classics. I've read only one(!) all year and am considering throwing the the towel for the Back to the Classics challenge.

Here are my midyear favorites in no particular order:


FICTION


Quirky, funny, and probably not for everyone... I loved it. 




Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens 
I avoided this novel for a very long time (too much hype), but gave in when my book club decided to read it. I'm very glad they did!




As We Are Now by May Sarton
This is, without a doubt, both the most beautifully written and the most depressing novel I've read this year. At just 144 pages, it's also one of the shortest.




Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane (read/listen combination)

This was a solid 5-star read for me.  An all-consuming novel, I lived with these people for a week. Whenever I wasn't reading about them, I was thinking about them! The audio version, narrated by Molly Pope, is also excellent.




If Beale Street Could Talk (audio) by James Baldwin
This 1974 classic is even more wonderful with Bahni Turpin's moving narration.




The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai (read/listen combination)

An "issue novel" about the AIDS crisis, specifically in 1980s Chicago. It triggered memories, both happy and sad, of lost friends and caused me to reflect on my time on the front lines, as a clinical pharmacist in a teaching hospital where research and drug trials were conducted. The audio version, narrated by Michael Crouch added much to my overall experience.





Normal People (audio)
by Sally Rooney, narrated by Aoife McMahon
Quiet and well-written, this is an interior, character-driven novel about relationships. I loved the narrator's Irish accent.




NONFICTION



by Dani Shapiro, narrated by the author

Easily my favorite nonfiction this year. Dani Shapiro, a 50-something writer brought up in an Orthodox Jewish family in NYC, takes a DNA test on a whim and discovers that her father was not her biological father. Her history and identity seem to crumbles beneath her, but this is not what you might think. It's actually far more complicated and raises many complex questions. I think listening to Shapiro tell her own story is the best way to experience this book.




by Dani Shapiro, narrated by the author

Since I loved Inheritance so much, a dive into Shapiro's backlist was immediately necessary. This book examines the role of faith, prayer, and devotion in everyday life. Again, I found Shapiro's writing to be thoughtful, intelligent, and insightful.




by Ann Hood, narrated by Donna Postel
I can't resist books about books, so raced through this short audiobook in just a day and a half!




SUPREME COURT READING

My interest in the Supreme Court goes back decades, but over the past few years I've felt a growing sense of urgency and need for more information and deeper understanding. To that end, I've read four very good books so far this year.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg: A Life by Jane Sherron De Hart (read/listen combination)
The audio version, narrated by Suzanne Toren, helped me get through the drier, more technical sections.

My Own Words by Ruth Bader Ginsburg (audio)
Listening to Linda Lavin's narration, along with several recordings of RBG delivering her own words, was wonderful!

Breaking in: The Rise of Sonia Sotomayor and the Politics of Justice by Joan Biskupic (audio)
After reading Sotomayor's memoir, My Beloved World, several years ago, this was the logical next step. Carrington McDuffie is an excellent narrator.

The Chief: The Life and Turbulent Times of Chief Justice John Roberts by Joan Biskupic (read/listen combination)
It is now obvious that Roberts will play a pivotal role in close rulings. This book helped me understand his background and other factors which may influence his decision-making. The audio version is skillfully narrated by Jennywren Walker.


What are your favorite so far this year? Have you noticed any trends in your reading?



The Sunday Salon is hosted by Deb at Readerbuzz.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar