Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

my Cold Wars 2012

The battles:

More on these coming up, but I got to play in two DBA tournaments, a DBA-RRR tournament, and one of Bruce Weigle's late-19th century games (this one an 1866 Prusso-Austrian engagement). I also got to play part of an ASL Starter Kit game with my roommate Mr Brown. I did not get to wander around and see many other games, though I got a glimpse of the RF&F battle of New Orleans game that Mr Brown played in.

The friends:

I roomed with/next to members of this list (Eric, Amir, and Mike). I also got to see a number of old friends (the Davids, the Stooges and their Pittsburgh allies Alan and JM, the irrepressible Bostwicks, the irascible but entertaining Rong) and make several new ones. I was sorry to miss some folks who were unable to make the trip (the Butcher, Rob and Ruth, the Imperator, not to mention my blog co-host, el Franco). As a special treat, I ran into an old friend who I'd fallen out with a year or two ago and spent an hour or more talking to him and reconnecting. That made the whole trip worthwhile, to be honest.

The loot:


  • a book on Rev War partisan fighting
  • a couple of Ospreys (1798 Irish Rising, WW2 Chinese Armies)
  • TVAG's two Mahdist war sourcebooks
  • figures for an Ottoman 15mm DBA-RRR army
  • a few figures for 28mm Napoleonic skirmish gaming (thanks to Mr Sherwood, who wasn't even there!)
  • some more trees and road and river bitz from BTC
  • GMT's Conquest of Paradise (I was not willing to take a risk on it for $45 new, but for $15 gently used...)
  • lots and lots of business cards from dealers whose stuff looked very tempting


The other stuff:


Mr Johnson arranged very comfortable rooms for us at a very reasonable price. My schedule didn't allow me to eat any of my meals out, but the food at the Host (and the breakfasts at the hotel) is mediocre, not actually bad. And it's a remarkable thing, after DC prices, to be told, "Oh, I'm sorry, happy hour ended, so the draft beers are $4." The weather was balmy, almost, compared with the other visits to Lancaster that have involved monsoons and blizzards. The drive up was not bad, but the drive home was excruciating, only because I had not gotten enough sleep over the weekend and was not as alert or clear-headed as I should have been.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar